When in 1492 Columbus, full of admiration discovered the beautiful silver glowing sea at the north coast, he baptized the place Puerto Plata (silver harbor). West of the town is the remainder of a fort built in 1540 Fort San Felipe. Majestically rises the mountain of Isabel de Torres up to 800m. The sugarcane imported by Columbus in 1493 was planted first time on the island in Puerto Plata. Nowadays we have wonderful Hotel resorts and an eighteen hole golf course, the Robert Trent Jones course.